Re: [IRCA] 4 Foot Box Loop Plans

In extensive testing performed back in the 1970's, it was fairly well determined that a 4' loop would have sharper nulls than a comparable 2' or 3' loop. As Rick states, a balanced loop - whether directly coupled through a pre-amp or inductively coupled via a link coil, offers sharper & deeper nulls, as well as a more nearly symmetical pattern as compared to an unbalanced loop.

The design of the NRC loop offered two different lengths for the main coil, one for use directly coupled with a pre-amp, the other for use with a 2-turn link coil. The difference was, not surprisingly, 2 turns.

What works best depends on space available, local noise, local signals and of course, your needs as a DX'er.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id