Re: [IRCA] WBZ IBOC is OFF!

Still on the backup rig tonight, but they've drifted down a bit, to
1030.014.
Barry
///////
Just out of curiosity I wonder if WBZ runs Power-Side on the backup
transmitter? I know a lot of stations that had Power-Side before IBOC
came along kept it on their backup rigs (KPOF/910 for example). Perhaps
I should pose this as a question to the more technically experienced
engineer types on the list (Mark Durenberger where are you?). Since
Power-Side concentrates the audio into one of the two sidebands of the
carrier frequency, would that make the signal appear to be slightly off
frequency toward whichever sideband is being used? I know that on an
analog radio receiving a station using Power-Side you get the best sound
by tuning slightly off frequency to one sideband or another. The carrier
frequency should not be effected by Power-Side. But I believe that the
apparent center of bandwidth for the overall mask of the transmitted
signal would be shifted one way or another. At KCKK/1510 we have
Power-Side and we run it slanted toward the lower sideband to help us
stay further away from the audio of the 1520 adjacent channel blowtorch
in OKC.

Patrick Griffith, CBT CBNT CRO
Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/