Re: [IRCA] Unheard Washington State AM Stations from Salmon Creek

Re: [IRCA] Unheard Washington State AM Stations from Salmon Creek

Dennis,

1240  KGY  A regular here days at 100 miles with Corvallis under. KGY
gets out well, being on the water. You should catch this.

1450  KBKW   A regular here at 50 miles. It may be a bit tougher as
you have Eugene to the South and Aberdeen to the NW, but phasing the
South should help.

1450  KSUH  Common here at night. You cannot miss the KK format //1230
Everett

1490   KAYO  Another regular days at 50 miles. Again phase out KBZY and
you should have a shot.

1330   KENU   You should hear this one after Portland s/off. KENU gets
out well with their lp.

1210   KBSG   Now KTBK   A pest here days and often nights. You should
get this one. SS programming.

1560   KZIZ   They don't seem to have the "punch" they had since moving
to the tx site, plus you have 1550 there close by.

1390  KBBO  Now KJOX from 980 Another regular days and nights. I think
KSLM runs like 690 watts at night, so another phase might bring in KBBO.

980   KJOX  Now KBBO from 1390    Common around LSS. If 970 isn't too
strong, you should catch KJOX

1020  KYXE  Now KDYK, Another pest all day here.

1490  KENE  Now KYNR, easy to catch as they run Native American music
(Yakima Nation). Heard regularly at night

1490   KBRO   Used to hear them often, but not nearly as often today.

1180   KLAY   Regular here all day, but with KEX next door running IBOC
24/7, this may be tough for you. I have to phase the KEX IBOC to get
KLAY here.

1480   KNTB   This one is a toughie here as they put no signal South to
protect KBMS. This one you will need a lot of luck. You may have a shot
if KBMS is off. I hear them on rare occasions during the day when skip
is good to the North.

1150   KKNW   A regular here days, phasing Portland. You probably will
have to wait until Portland is off.

1400   KITZ   Heard often here around LSS and sometimes under KEDO days.

1240  KXLE   Used to be common at night mixing with KTIX.

1210   KZTS   Now KDYM 1230  I heard they had a CP for it. Used to mix
with Auburn day & night, but haven't heard KZTS is sometime.In the 08
NRC log they are listed on 1230.

1460  KARR   Common here during the day with a phase to the South.

1230  KWYZ   As with KSUH, easy to catch with the KK talk. If your
Gresham local is not too strong for you, but phasing KKEE here at 7
miles, I hear the KK talk in the jumble.

1340   KWWX   Now KZNW   Common here at night in the jumble

960   KALE    Another pest al day here on the coast mixed with Calgary.

1370   KWNC   Logged a couple of times during the day, and on rare
occasions around LSS with KAST phased, but never strong.

1340   KTCR  Another one mixing at night on occasion.

1290   KIKN   Gone, silent. Went off to make room for the new KKOL 1300
power boost.

1450   KONP    Common at night. Gets out very well.

1400   KRSC   Was silent. Don't know if they returned. Took a long time
to log this one years ago. I have not heard it since the 80s.

730   KULE    Common at night mixing with Boise

1020   KWIQ   Common here at night mixing with Selah WA

1470   KBSN   Used to be regular at night off the Eastern Beverage, but
haven't heard it in sometime.

1340  KLKI   Now KWLE , have ben trying to pull this out myself with the
new call. Used to be heard often under KLKI.

1320   KGDC   Common at night often off the Eastern beverage. Seems to
get out well.

1490  KTEL   Another one heard in the 1490 jumble at night and on
occasion in the afternoons.

930   KIXT  Now KBAI "The Bay". Often heard here days, but more trouble
now with Yakima on with 10 KW days.

550   KARI    This one may be tough for you as they really null the
South protecting KOAC, plus KOAC is pretty strong in the Portland area.
If you can catch KOAC off, you might hear them. KARI is not strong here
and it takes effort to hear them.

1490  KEYG   Another one heard in the 1490 jumble at times at night.

1450   KCLX   For some reason, I hear this one often topping the 1450
jumble at night. They get out well

1430   KCLK   Not an easy one, even years ago and with KYKN on with 5 KW
day & night doesn't make it easier. You might have a shot at LSS or when
KYKN is off.

790   KJRB   Used to be easy in the old Top 40s days of the 60s/70s.
Now, I rarely ever them. They null the SW I believe.

970   KTRW  Now KTTO  Common here at night mixing with Portland, but you
may have to wait until Portland is off.

1230  KSBN   This one I have been unable to catch the call change.
Logged and QSL'd them back in the 60s under KSPO. Don't know if they are
still using that lw between the buildngs in downtown Spokane.

1280  KUDY  Now KPTQ, easy to hear around LSS. Used to protect Portland
1290, but still protects 1280 Yakima. Was Progressive Talk (like KPOJ)
the last time I checked.

1330  KMBI  A regular at LSS here, but you may have to wait under
Portlandis off.

1050   KDRK  Now KEYF  Common in the afternoons here and often at night.

630   KXLI Now KTRW, I have not relogged them under the new call, but
this one is a real toughie for me running 530 watts day and 53 watts at
night, never heard at night here. Heard the last time at LSR but bad QRM
via Boise, so not easy. Logged twice through 40 years under two calls.
One of the rarest WA's for me.

You did not mention KRIZ 1420 Renton. That one is by far the toughest WA
station for me. I have logged them once in 40 years and fortunately got
a QSL. Protecting everybody on the channel and I have KITI aimed right
at me. If you logged KRIZ, you would have a jewell. No doubts there!

I would suggest a copy of the latest NRC log as many of the calls you
had listed are outdated. I buy the NRC log every year, a must for
domestic DXing and I keep it updated with Robert Wien's column in the
bulletin. It takes a bit of work, but well worth it.

Good luck with catching more WA stations.

73,

Patrick