Re: [IRCA] STATION IDs - TAPES TO CDs

--- On Mon, 12/29/08, Bruce Portzer <bportzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Bruce Portzer <bportzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [IRCA] STATION IDs - TAPES TO CDs
> Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 1:01 PM
> Hi Pete
>
> I've been archiving airchecks and DX for a while using
> Audacity running on a Vista laptop.  I'm using a
> Behringer UCA-202 card to convert line level audio to USB.
> I haven't had any problems with artifacts.  I have my
> sound card set to its highest quality setting (16 bit, 48000
> Hz, DVD quality).  Audacity is set to the same resolution as
> the sound card.  You might want to check those settings,
> since low resolution settings can introduce artifacts.
>
> Bruce

_____

16 bit is prone to produce birdies and other artifacts. I use 64 as a minimum. I would also use either average bit rate or variable bit rate rather than a constant rate. By contrast, however, I almost never use a sample rate of 48K - I mostly use 16K, or maybe 32K at max.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id