Re: [IRCA] Chile logged on 518 kHz

Two longwires, 200' south, 500' west.  Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin and Wendy Foltz" <martinfoltz@xxxxxxx>
To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 1:02 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Chile logged on 518 kHz

Nice logs. I just started listening on 518 kHz and this past week received
an email verie from VAE Tofino MCTS, Amphitrite Point, BC.

What type of antenna are you using?

Martin Foltz
Mission Viejo CA

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:28:19 -0500
From: "Jim Renfrew"
Subject: [IRCA] Chile logged on 518 kHz
International Radio Club of America" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<mwc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim Renfrew, Holley NY
Drake R8B, longwires

Yes, slightly off-topic for MW enthusiasts, but read on!

With help from Bill Hepburn I've been learning to use DSC Decoder and
SeaTTY
software to decode NAVTEX transmissions on 518 kHz during the last several
days.  The DSC software is availble on a 21 day trial and SeaTTY is
shareware.  Once you get the hang of it it is possible to get marine
weather
in text form.  The only hardware needed is a regular audio cable between
the
Drake's line out and the computer's line in.

A nice feature is that I can tune my radio to 519.09 LSB, go do other
things, and the text appears as a digest to be reviewed later.  SeaTTY is
lbrings in a lot of corrupt text, but seems to capture a lot more than the
DSC program.  However the DSC program when it hits is in much more
readible
form.

Stations heard so far include:

Cheapeake VA
Boston MA
Miami FL
Sydney NS
Labrador NL
Wiarton ON
New Orleans LA
Sept-Iles QC
San Francisco CA
Saint John NB
Savannah GA

This evening I was really pleased to receive fragmentary text messages
from
stations in Nuuk, Greenland and Magallenes, Chile. While not strictly MW,
find it fascinating that Greenland and Chile can be heard on the edge of
the
MW band from western NY.  It appears that the Chile reception is even
further south than Bill's Puerto Mott reception of a few days ago.