[IRCA] Lucky Mistake Kicks Off ULR Movement (Dec.2007)

[IRCA] Lucky Mistake Kicks Off ULR Movement (Dec.2007)

Hello Guys,

For those of you wondering how the  Ultralight radio boom ever got started,
most agree it was because of  an email sent in error.

     A report of amazing TP receptions on a humble  SRF-59 was meant for the
IRCA list reflector, but was accidentally sent to  Colin Newell (of dxer.ca)
by mistake.  This very fortunate error  resulted in a suggestion by Colin for a
full SRF-59 radio review, which was  posted on dxer.ca exactly one year ago.
The SRF-59 review on Colin's web  site is generally credited with starting
the Ultralight Radio boom.

     Pasted below is the original SRF-59 report of  TP reception, intercepted
by Colin (who re-posted it on the IRCA list  reflector):

Gary meant to say...

"Hello All,

Intrigued by the recent postings about MW DXing  with Sony Walkmans,  I
went out and purchased a Sony SRF-59 for about $20 at a  local store  here in
Puyallup, WA.  Although it has an analog design like I   wanted, I certainly
didn't have much hope for its DX capability, since its  very  compact size,
low
price, and included stereo FM circuitry (and  headphones) made  me think that
Sony
probably cut corners on the AM  side.  But I was greatly  mistaken!

This  little radio not only has good sensitivity  (enough to pull in the
all  the usual fringe stations in the daytime here), but  decent  selectivity
too.  Not only can it receive KONA-610, CFAX-1070 and   KDZR-1540 (all over
100
miles away), but it can split off CHMJ-730 quite  well  from KIRO-710, and get
KPQ-560 in the null of KVI-570 (tough for  most portables  to do).  Another
big
surprise was turning to the  low end of the dial, and  finding no image
reception of my locals...  almost unbelievable for a $20  radio.

Because of  its daytime performance, I couldn't  wait to try it out at
night.   Just after midnight here last night, I set  the analog dial just to
the
left of KXL-750, and immediately got a decent signal  from JOIB-747,  using
only the set's 1.5" ferrite bar antenna.  Very  surprised, I  then set the
dial
just to the left of CKBD-600, and was rewarded  with a  weak signal from
JOAK-594
(although this was more challenging).   Two  other JA powerhouses on 774 and
828 cannot be heard easily here  because of local  slop, otherwise I think
this
little radio would have a  decent shot at them,  too.  If you are looking for
little fun  with a very inexpensive radio,  consider giving it a  try!

73,   Gary"

Comments: Not bad for a little  analog unit... 20$ in the U.S. - 29$ at the
Sony Store in Canada -
Just goes  to show that you do not need to spend 400+ dollars for an Eton E1
to enjoy  the
rapture of Trans-Pacific DX.

--
Colin Newell -  Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce /  Writing

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its
editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org

____

(End  of original message)    73-  Gary DeBock