[IRCA] New ULR Graveyard DX Award Certificates Now Available

[IRCA] New ULR Graveyard DX Award Certificates Now Available

Friends,

After due deliberation, the Ultralight MW DXing Awards Committee has established a new award category for Ultralight DXers: Stations Heard on the Graveyard Channels. Awards are given for each ten stations heard, beginning with 30 stations heard, on the six Graveyard Channels of 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490. Applications for these awards are made in the usual way, directly to Rob Ross. The new certificate is a special design by John Bryant to commemorate the unusual character of the Graveyard Channels and the difficulty of DXing these, the most crowded channels of the MW band. A sample certificate, reduced in both size and resolution is attached for your consideration.

I spent last winter DXing the Graveyard Channels from Oklahoma. I started out GY DXing primarily to test the Wellbrook Phased Array antenna that I have written about extensively; I surprised myself by really enjoying the GY experience and plan more time this winter in GY land, now with an ULR. By far the most useful reference to the unique world of GYing that I found last season was a compendium of tips from the experts that was put together by long-time DX maven, Lee Freshwater. This document, highly recommended for GY veterans and neophytes alike, is found at: http://www.nrcdxas.org/articles/DXingtheGraveyardChannelsRev1.pdf

And, of course, if you haven't been using the Topaz site to search a single frequency by format, you really ought to try it out. Use the right-hand side of the Website, select the Frequency, select the Format and then hit the search button just to the right of the format selector.... The whole Topaz site is a joy to use and very helpful: http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/

So, it may be time for the Final Frontier..... add up the GY stations in your ULR log book and contact Rob when you cross the 30-station barrier.

John Bryant
for the
Ultralight Awards Committee