[IRCA] Tips for Winding the E100 Slider Coil

[IRCA] Tips for Winding the E100 Slider Coil

Hello Guys,

     As most of you are aware, a new type of AM  loopstick was developed this
summer for use in the E100 Ultralight and  other single-coil designs, in
which the loopstick coil is shifted by the DXer to  peak each incoming signal on
its own frequency. This simple innovation  makes a huge difference in the
sensitivity of the radio on all AM  frequencies, making it competitive or superior
to all of the most popular  portables in AM-DXing history.

     For those DXers wishing to construct a Slider  loopstick for their E100
or other portables, one of the challenges is winding a  coil of 40/44 Litz
wire that will slide easily on a type 61 Amidon 7.5" ferrite  bar, but not "too
easily."  The early designers of Slider loopsticks  (John Bryant and I) faced
this problem, and we both developed our own  solutions.

     Although John certainly has his own  procedure, my own trick is to wind
the coils on a form of waterproof tape,  wrapped tightly around the most
slippery half-inch diameter material I  could find:  the long, half-inch shank of a
router bit.  In order to  ensure that the coil will be very slightly larger
than .5" in  diameter, I place a 3" long, 1/16" wide strip of a cut up credit
card lengthwise  on the router bit shank, before winding the coil.  This strip
of the credit  card is pulled out after winding the coil, to ensure that the
coil will easily  slide off the router bit shank.  If all goes well, the coil
will slide  easily, but not too easily, on the half-inch diameter Amidon
ferrite bar.

     Should the coil slide too easily, it is a simple  matter to cut thin
strips of the waterproof tape and place them lengthwise  inside the coil
(adhesive side out), until the coil "drag" is ideal.  The  Type 61 Amidon ferrite bars
also have slight ridges lengthwise from end to end,  which allows the DXer to
rotate the coil slightly to find the ideal  "drag" position (as long as the
pre-wound coil is approximately correct in  inner diameter).  Good luck!

     73,  Gary DeBock