Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] 950 unID (again)

On Thursday 27 November 2008 06:21, Niel Wolfish wrote:
> A few days ago I posted about an unidentified station on 950.  I
> have heard this again a couple of times this week on 950 just
> before 6:00 a.m. EST (which is five hours behind UTC), including
> this morning (Thursday November 27).   Again this morning I heard a
> woman singing the Star Spangled Banner in what I would describe as
> gospel-style. Perhaps somebody like Whitney Houston singing?
>  Unfortunately, the singing sticks out and then the signal fades
> back into the mud and I never hear an ID.
>
> I don’t need the Wikipedia links to radio stations on 950 or the
> home phone number of the station’s chief engineer.  I am just
> wondering if anybody has actually been listening to 950 at this
> time and has heard the same thing as me.  Thanks.

I always like to get to the bottom of a good mystery, so I recorded on
950 overnight (yes, still using ancient one-channel-at-a-time
receiving technology!).  Alas, I did not hear anyone singing the SSB
at the time you mention (or any other time, for that matter).  This
may be because WIBX is a huge pest here, and I had them (somewhat)
nulled, which probably suppressed other signals from the south to
some degree.

On the brighter side, conditions were good to the west, and I heard,
among other things, CFAM in MB, WCLB in WI, and, most welcome of all,
KTNF ("the Voice of Minnesota"), a newie here.  In fact, KTNF popped
up just before 0600, where the aforementioned SSB was conspicuously
absent.  So thanks for steering me to that time and frequency. :-)

I'll give 950 another try sometime soon.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON