[IRCA] Ultralight Radio Anniversary Award for Colin Newell

[IRCA] Ultralight Radio Anniversary Award for Colin Newell

Hello Guys,

     On the first anniversary of the Ultralight Radio  boom, the perpetrators
of this crazy new phenomena would like to award due  recognition to one of
our most influential co-conspirators.

      Without the continual contributions of  Colin Newell in encouraging,
supporting and disseminating essential information  and communication regarding
all aspects of the Ultralight Radio movement,  it is highly doubtful that the
enthusiast group would ever have been  formed, much less become the huge,
extremely enthusiastic group that exists  today.

     Colin's early suggestion of a formal review of the  Sony SRF-59 Walkman
radio in November of 2007 (and his offer to  publish it on his outstanding web
site, DXer.Ca) was absolutely instrumental in  starting the Ultralight Radio
group's formation.  His continual  offer to publish equipment reviews,
technical articles, contest  communication and other essential Ultralight Radio
information  has contributed greatly to the explosive growth of the niche group, as
well  as elevating DXer.Ca into the status of one of the premier
radio-related web  sites   Colin's personal interest in reviewing various compact
receivers has helped many potential purchasers, and his posting of diverse DX
station audio recordings has helped all of us hear the sounds of exotic DX,
regardless of the anemic performance of some of our pedestrian receivers.

     Colin's personal interest in the Ultralight Radio  movement has had the
influential effect of making Canada a true stronghold of  pocket radio DXing,
leading to the outstanding achievements of Rob Ross of  London, Ontario, Allen
Willie of St. John's, Newfoundland, and Greg Schoom of  Toronto, Ontario,
among many others.  Those Canadians who received  sample Ultralight radios (and
alignments) can thank Colin for his early  contributions to Ultralight radio,
helping to start the movement that  generated such international comradery.
Today the Canadian  contribution to Ultralight Radio is extremely strong, and
dominant in many  outstanding aspects.

     Lacking John Bryant's creative ability to  design a beautiful Award
Certificate and frame, I (Gary DeBock) have decided to  award Colin with the next
best thing:   A personally created,  fully-modified Eton E100 model (Slider
loopstick and Murata CFJ455K5 IF filter),  deviously designed to outperform any
portable on the planet in 9 kHz split  DXing.  This latest innovation has the
technical contributions of four  fanatical Americans (John Bryant, Guy Atkins,
Steve Ratzlaff and myself), to  express our deep appreciation to Colin, and
to all Canadians, for the  outstanding contributions made by our northern
neighbors to the booming  Ultralight Radio DX movement.

     On behalf of the Ultralight Radio group  leadership, I take great
pleasure in presenting this Founder's Award to  Colin, and hope that all of you will
join me in thanking him for  his impressive contributions to the cause of
Ultralight Radio DX!

     73 and Best Wishes,

     Gary DeBock and John Bryant (for the Ultralight  Radio DX  Group)