[IRCA] KNOM-780 INFO

I just received an E-mail verie from KNOM-780 Nome for my reception of 10/27/08 thanks to a contact provided by Paul Walker. Thanks Paul.

His contact provided this information:

Yes, KNOM changed over to ABC for news some months ago.
(I brought this up in my report since there was a definite echo under KKOH's ABC newscast).

Most unusual for anyone in "the lower 48" to receive KNOM. Largely because of the co-channel stations you noted but also because of the antenna design. The tower is only 230-feet with a six-fold folded unipole hanging off it. It's pretty much all groundwave. Most effective, too, as the transmitter site is alongside the mouth of The Nome River where it empties into Norton Sound (salt).

If you use Google Earth, the transmitter site is easy to find.

Go to Nome, AK and then proceed EAST along The Nome-Council Road which runs along the shore. Just before the Nome River the road loops NORTH prior to crossing a bridge. The single tower is just south of the loop; just west of the river. There's a good sized satellite dish just at the North side of the transmitter building. Second building on the site is a generator housing; what looks like a third, smaller, building is the fuel tank for the generator.

Just West of KNOM, on the opposite side of the road, are the three towers of KICY which is strongly directional West at 50kW, so chances of reception anywhere other than in Russia are slim to nil.

Even less than nil here with KHHO five miles away!

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 + Kiwa air core loop