[IRCA] NF report: CHINA (and more)!

Report from Cappahayden Newfoundland

Last night was a remarkable run from China:  Saul noted France missing from 1377 at 1802. At 1815 a TWR IS was heard, with possible Iran in the background.  At 1956 I heard "Govorit Minsk" on 1376.98, with TWR still going strong.  So where is this station?  From Ukraine, possibly?  Later, at 2259 I heard "Govorit Moscow", and a program in some sort of Asian language.  Meanwhile, at 2200 Chuck noted a weak Chinese signal on 1386 after Lithuania left the air.  Then, CNR appeared in the mess on 1377, // 4800 and 5030.  Eager for more, I also found the same program fighting through on 1134 and 1359.  We've heard 1377 and 1134 before, but I think two of these are new here.  By the way, we IDed the 1377 Iranian station later on, parallel to 1503.

Locations of China signals:  1134 QH Golmud, 1359 unknown, 1377 HENAN, 1386 Tianjin.  Tianjin is on the Pacific coast, near Beijing, the others are more interior.  Chuck was unsuccesful in trying to hear 1422.

Let's see, some other highlights.  Far north in very well the last few days, 675 Norway, stations in Murmansk and Archangelsk, but 1485 from SPitzbergen not audible.

On LW, I was astounded to receive NDBs from Georgia (the country) and Estonia.  Lots of other new NDBs from Scandanavia and western Europe.  I made a nice tape with Radio Rossi IDing just before 0300 on 171, and then something called "Radio Campagnie Golos Rossi" dropped in like a ton of bricks with sign-on.  I think this is what is listed in the EMWG as the Chechyn broadcast.

Thanks to Max's tip, we heard Rossi on 1097.09, that's 5 kW.

The back end of the south wire is productive for Canadian prairies.  But so far no TPs in that direction, though Chuck will have terrabytes of spectrum grab to analyze in months to come.

Brazil has been better than the last several years, last night I actually had several channels with two Portuguese programs running.  These seem harder than ever to ID, with what appears to be endless Pentecostal preasching (and no IDs).  Just one station from Uruguay on 550, and only a couple from Argentina.

No sign of the Falklands on 530.  Radio Enciclopedia owns the channel with RVC off.  If the southern cone was pounding in it would be worth sitting here.