[IRCA] TPs on Orcas Isl. 29 October: Down, But...

[IRCA] TPs on Orcas Isl. 29 October: Down, But...

As noted by others, things were clearly down from yesterday, but there were a few things of interest around. When I first checked at 1240, it was obvious that things were off some, but still, half the slots below were full. My last check was between 1450 and 1510, whe there were quite a few more around. Combining the morning, all slots below 1000 were in some audio, with the exception of 6 (it was "below 1400" yesterday.) Today, there were only 20 channels above 1000 with threshold or above. That channel count really paints an overly rosy picture. Almost every chamnnel had significantly less audio than yesterday, with far more than half being at the mumble level.

There were a few interesting things, though..... 540 had multiple CNR1s on it late, tho not too loud. 594 NHK1 was strong all morning and the loudest that I've ever heard it late. 639 was HLSA, KBS3 (Voice of Love :>) rather than the usual CNR1. 810, got both the Russian and the North Korean here right after 1500. There are a few minutes when KGO has faded and the semi-local religious broadcaster is coming up that one or both of these two pop up for a minute or two. I // the Korean to 2850, but had no time to // the Russian (and I think that its broadcasting locally, anyway.) Both early and late Yangji KK Service on 1206 was the strongest that I've heard them this season, by far. In fact, they have been very weak all season. I wonder if they just worked on the tx.... it did seem a bit nearer to 1206.

I agree with Dennis... this has been a great year for the low band, but almost nothing for the upper. Also, there have been a number of Old Favorites either missing entirely or very far down. Besides 1197, JOWL mentioned recently and the 1206, 954-JOKR, Tokyo has been awful or not there at all. On the other hand, I don't think that I've ever heard more than one Russian per year before, Grayland and here combined. This year, at least four are somewhat regular visitors. The NHK1s on the very low part of the band seem especially prominent this year, as well. Previously, only 666 and 594 were regulars here in the Vancouver cesspool.

Sure is an interesting hobby, huh?

I added seven more to my Ultralight TP log this AM, but all were fairly familiar to those driving "real" radios.

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________