Re: [IRCA] KUAM's MOVE

--- On Thu, 10/2/08, Pete Taylor <ptdx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
>
> > How could KUAM be on 610kHz? THat's not a 9kHz
> channel..
>
> A major frequency shift took place worldwide in November
> 1978. Other
> than the Western Hemisphere, (1) stations in countries
> which were on
> 10s switched to 9s and (2) stations in countries which were
> already
> on 9s seemed to end up moving 1Khz. I never did understand
> that. My
> wife and I were honeymooning in Fiji and there were some
> interesting
> catches that morning including PNG-864 and several
> Australians with
> significant dial position changes running continuous loops
> promoting
> the new channel. Yes, she knew what she was getting when
> she married
> me. A week or so before when we were in NZ, I placated her
> somewhat
> by bringing in KNX as it announced that Jerry Brown was
> elected the
> new governor of California...

KUAM is switching to a non-standard channel because the majority of cars and trucks on the island, as well as many other radios are coming from the US. Those don't tune the splits, plus they wanted to minimize QRM from any nearby adjacents.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id