Re: [IRCA] 1150 IBOC?

> > Anyone notice an 1150 hiss monster out there?
>
> I'd suspect WRUN Utica - they recently rebuilt their antenna system, and
> being a public radio outlet, they probably did so with IBOC in mind.
>
> I didn't notice hash on either side of 1150 when I passed through Utica
> last weekend, but I wasn't paying much attention, either...

It's still there at 11am, so it has to be some station within groundwave
distance.  Oddly, the noise on the 1135-1140 lower sideband is far less than
that on the 1160-1165 upper.  Visually on the SDR-14 readout it's a quite
pronounced difference.  Perhaps that can help identify it.

If the level is that different locally, then the noise won't cancel properly
on their analog signal.  I think it's supposed to be set so one sideband is
phased -90 degrees and the other is +90 degrees.  Combined they are 180
degrees out of phase and cancel out in the middle.  But, the levels need to
be identical for it to work.  If it's that uneven, it shouldn't have been on
the air.  Probably affects the decode as well.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI