[IRCA] santa barbara TP possibilities

at some point in the recent past, Dennis Gibson asked the following:

> I can walk to the beach but I don't know anybody in California
looking
> for TP's so I don't know if hearing any from here (Santa Barbara) is
> even feasible. I'd like suggestions on which frequencies I'd be the
> most likely to find TP's on.

Coincidentally, I'm working in Santa Barbara Channel on an oceanographic
research vessel, and have managed to set up an ALA100 loop, 15' on a side (with
lots of nearby metalwork to foul things up), and, when there's time, listen on a
Dymek DR333 or an SDR14.   Best reception of TPs right now seems between 1315
and 1345 UTC, and the kingpins are Koreans.  657 walks away with the top honors,
followed by 972, but the Japanese on 774 is right up there also.  I get a big
carrier on 1566, but there's shipboard electrical noise there, so, along with
the low modulation, audio is tough.   There's others, but they're not so easy;
these would be the best bets on the beach with a portable, I would think.

best wishes,

Nick