Re: [IRCA] ExtremelyHeavy group

--- On Tue, 9/16/08, Bob Young <youngbob53@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Great, we have the nucleus for the Extremelyheavy group,
> haha! I hope I haven't left anyone out. HQ-160's are
> supposed to be nice radios, I've seen them but
> they're not common and sell for big bucks usually. I
> have a kind of extensive Extremelyheavy radio collection
> including Hammarlunds, Collins, Nationals, Hallicrafters,
> and Heathkits, also a few nice consoles too. There's
> something to be said for opening up an Extremelyheavy radio
> and checking tubes or tracing a circuit. Recapping the
> SP-600 is one of the biggest PIA's I've had to do
> with them so far but it is also extremely rewarding and
> I'm at the easy part now. They're great radios for
> AM DXing.
> A 22 lb Hallicrafters counts in my book. The heaviest one I
> have right now is a black wrinkle National HRO-50R1,
> it's in a 3 1/2' high rack which includes a place
> for the coils and a speaker on top, looks and plays like
> new. National was in Malden, MA and I'm the third owner,
> the first worked at National, this thing weighs a good 150
> lbs. and is planted in my radio room on top of a sturdy
> table.
> I do most of my DXing with an R-390A or a SP-600 which are
> both great radios.
>
> Bob Young
> Extremelyheavygroup
> Analog, MA
> KB1OKL

And I have two HQ-150's which weigh in at somewhere around 50# each. And both of them need at least some degree of re-capping, hopefully this Fall or Winter, as neither of them works currently. Great radios, but after 60+ years of use, they need a lot of attention!

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id