Re: [IRCA] AM ratings source?

amdxmail@xxxxxxx wrote:
Years ago, Billboard, Broadcasting et al used to publish quarterly
ratings for US radio stations.? They'd be in a chart form showing the
most recent measurements, as well as those for the previous three
quarters.? Is this info online now?

It is - you can find it at sites such as AllAccess.com, radioandrecords.com and radio-info.com.

With nite IBOC a year old yesterday, I'm curious to see what changes
there may have been in audience sizes.? As I recall, the HD
apologists said that the use of IBOC would increase AM ratings,
especially amongst the goatee-and-shaved-head demo.? Did it?

Inconclusive, for several reasons.

First, there are so few AM stations running IBOC at all, and even fewer running IBOC at night, that the sample size is almost insignificantly small.

Second, the only ratings made available to the public are the "beauty contest" 12+ ratings, so we lack the demographic breakdowns to determine whether audiences are getting any younger.

And third, perhaps most critically, "AM" programming in many markets is moving away from the AM band. Over the last few years, Bonneville moved its news-talk stations to FM in Salt Lake, Phoenix, Washington and most recently in Seattle. Other FM news-talk competitors have popped up in markets such as Pittsburgh.

My guess is that those factors far outweigh whatever ratings blips may have been caused (or not) by the addition of IBOC.