[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Island September 8

[IRCA] TPs from Orcas Island September 8

My reception this AM was a mere shadow of Walt's, of course, but along the same lines: All Asia. The bottyom of the band NHK1s were in again... this string has been better, more consistent for these NHK1s in 500 and 600 kHz. bands that I've ever heard. Most of the other Big Gun JJs were in, along with a few of the second and third level, but the North Koreans and the Chinese were the stars of the show. I think that I had every off-frequency, distorted or seriously under-modulated signal that is transmitted out of North Korea. Whadda mess there broadcasting system is! I am not hearing one single normal signal outta there, but I've got maybe 15 of the others. My favorite this morning was 702.... it usually shows a low-level mess of split-up, off-frequency parts of a carrier and that is all. This morning, the conditions were good enough that I was able to ID KCBS programming amongst all the warbles and whistles. Also mixed in the mess was NHK2... there are two stations: Hiuroshima and the more probable Kitami on Hokkaido.

Other items of interest were

675... finally some audio showing here and it was not the expected Viet Nam. It was what sounded like standard Beijing dialect with an accent. The most likely candidate is a 200 kW station that is all CC News out of Hohhot, Inner Mongolia. Best around 1317.

810... Thanks partly to the Wellbrook Array, finally a TP signal was whipping the San Francisco blowtorch and the semi-local evangelical daytimer. I believe that it was Zhejiang RGD News Service from Hangzhou on the coast just south of Shanghai. I may send them a tentatinve report when we get back from Peru.

1053 at 1302... the buzz was gone and Nagoya was there, but topping that just briefly was Russian... about the only possibility is a 10 kW station at Belogorsk on the Amur River. Since Walt was hearing a lot of Russian transmitters, I suspect that was it.

1575 There was something behind VOA and it wasn't DU.... no idea.

ON THE UNID on 1656..
I listened to the recording again this morning. It was clearly Adult Contemporary and, I *think* that the announcer was in EE. The thing was down on the noise floor and not enough to tell any more about it.... except that I'm darn sure that the announcer was not in Chinese. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Well, that's it for me until about the 27th. We'll have internet about half the time in Peru, so I'll be checking in from time to time. Things have been so interesting here lately, I kinda hate to leave, but..............

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array SE/NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest