[IRCA] Fabulous TPs from Orcas Island: Sept 2

[IRCA] Fabulous TPs from Orcas Island: Sept 2

I didn't make it up until 1258 and went directly to 1017 to see if I could catch that CRI KK Service fanfare and ID at 1300. Wham! There it was louder than I've ever heard it... clearly an armchair 9+! I hit Record and, of course, the strength started to slide. Still, the fanfare and ID were quite decent.

I then started at 531, with NHK1 Morioka at an 8 (!), caught Kobe at a 7 on 558 and NHK1 Sapporo on 567. Then I hit 576.... was NOT NHK1 Kagoshima but rather a weak 7 that sounded Russian to me.... but so weak... on to 585 which was just above threshold and (I'm pretty sure) was the small NHK1 Kushiro. 594, which is usually absolutely blanked out by the ultimate Vancouver flamethrower, CBC's CBU.... and there on 594 was JOAK, NHK1 Tokyo running a solid 8!!!! Loudest that I've ever heard the. 612 was weak and sounded like 3LO.... 656.975 was N.Korea with actual audio, rather unusual! I then hit it again for 666, fully expecting JOBK, Osaka, my most reliable NHK1 here. Whoa!!!!!!!!!! Only if folks in Osaka have started speaking Russian. Sure enough, Russian at a level 8..... I quickly paralleled it with 576 (YES!) and remembered Walt's recent loggings from the Queen Charlottes... Both are Mayak outlets from the Kamchatka Peninsula. I've never heard either outlet before, either from here on Orcas or even Grayland (if my failing memory is correct.) I darn sure don't have either QSLed......

So, the next ten to 15 minutes was spent logging and recording the Mayak outlets and I only got to finish that first run up the dial before dawn. In fact, I think that things had started to fade before I got much above 1017. However, I had 22 audios below 1017, well over half of them were continuously intelligible 8s. Whadda morning!

I see that Dennis Vroom hit the same wave of lotsa Japanese. Here, everything East Asian seemed stronger than usual. 675 was almost recognizable, though it may not have been Vietnamese. 873 had NHK2 Kumamoto and the North Korean on it, both 8s. 918, presumed CNR2 had the main signal and at least two echo audios. And, for a probable Orcas first, 990 was JORK, NHK1 Kochi... heard and QSLed at Grayland..

So, it was one of those really nice mornings that remind you why this durn hobby is so addictive. Unfortunately, I was too busy to even think about Ultralights, or I could have gotten a good deal closer to my 100 TP season goal there.... aw well :>)

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest