Re: [IRCA] GE ULR

Hi Dennis:

The radio that I am referring to is a GE pocket AM-FM portable that, to
me, performs almost as good as a stock (but peaked) Sony SRF-59.   The
GE is a Model #7-1637A.

I discussed it here and in the forums over at dxer.ca.  I wanted to get
in on the ULR frenzy but had a cash flow situation, last winter (still
do - but don't we all).  I found this baby at a Goodwill for 49 cents.
It runs on 3 AAA batteries.  I eventually got a Sony ULR (thanks to
Curtis in Illinois) but I would have done okay with just the GE.  A
forum reader on dxer.ca bought some GE new old stock units (NOS) and he
was delighted with it.  I heard KDAK 1590 ND, over a 6 mile local.  90
watts at 837 miles.

I find that it's better than the SRF-59 in many areas but especially in
tuning.  The dial is not as jerky as the Sony and a slight turn only
moves 10 KHz, not 40.  The GE also nulls better.  It was approved for
the Cabin Fever Sprint ULR contest earlier this year although my
loggings for the contest were on the Sony (as I had to see what all of
the fuss was about).

I also use Sony cassette Walkman radios that perform nicely.  Those were
not approved for the Sprint contest.  There was lots of debate about
these last winter but they still fit in my pocket and they perform well.
I have three (all from Goodwill) and I paid less for all three than one
new Sony SRF-59.  My favorite is the WM-FS 593 Sports model.  I was able
to hear Turks and Caicos on 530 with the nearly dead batteries that were
in it from the Goodwill, through the stores noisy lighting and such.

http://www.dxer.ca/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,78/func,view/
id,665/catid,29/

73,
Dave in Indy