[IRCA] TP report from Masset for 31Aug08 EXCELLENT!

[IRCA] TP report from Masset for 31Aug08 EXCELLENT!

Sorry for the delay as my internet access is intermittent.  I'm typing this from the hood of my truck in town with an apparently fast internet connection.  Results for Sunday were excellent!............Walt

First of all, let’s start with TAs from last night.  Things started very early with hets appearing by 04:15 UTC….around the time the sky starts to darken up here (9:15pm local), so I was hoping for some big developments.  The first hour pointed this way, but unfortunately, things did fizzle latter.  Still, I had a fair number of good audios as noted below.  No comment indicates hets of varying strengths.  About 1/3 would rate 3 or under, another 1/3 a 4, and the rest 5s.  As for audio, I did hear other countries, and not just Iberia as previous evenings:

189 a 7 at 04:45 Iceland
531:  Late audio at 6 after 05:07.
603 (late), 621, 639, 657 (late), 666
TP report from Masset for 31August 2008:  A very good morning!
684.04:  Who’s off frequency here?
693 (late), 702
711.05   Western Sudan presumed, with 6 level briefly at 05:13
729, 738, 747
774  6 level at 04:18  Likely Spain
783, 801
819 (late at 6 level after 05:07).
837:  7 level at 05:15, but marred by IBOC
873, 882, 891, 909, 918, 927 (late),  936
945:  6.5 level with France Info
954:  8 level at 04:33 Spain
963:  6.5 to 7 level.   Portugal
972
981:  6 level, presumed Portugal
999  COPE Madrid. At 7.5 level early and as late as 05:18
1008  7.5 level for SER Spain
1017
1026:  a 6 at 05:19
1044:  ditto
1053, 1071, 1089
1098:  6 level
1107:  ditto
1116, 1125, 1134, 1143
1152:  6 level at 05:20
1161, 1179, 1197
1206  7 level for France Info
1215:  great channel.  Virgin Radio at 04:50 at 8 level.  Spanish when rechecked at 05:06.
1224:  6 level
1251
1269:  6 level
1287
1296:  6 level
1305:  ditto
1314:  6.5 level
1341, 1359, 1368, 1404, 1413, 1422, 1458, 1485, 1503, 1512, 1521, 1539, 1548
1566:  Already a 7 to 7.5 at 04:31.  Didn’t get any stronger.
1575, 1584, 1602.

Plenty of action, but was sure hoping for things to get stronger, but they never did.  What WAS obvious was that there was an excellent Alaskan opening with frequency after frequency having an Alaskan present.  I really was impressed with the Wellbrook Array which completely eliminated stations to the south at a flip of the switch.  What I witnessed was like 2 totally different stations depending on the direction of the array!  Most useful.

I did notice that 1020 in Alaska has changed call signs.  It had been KAXX, which I’ve heard earlier this year.  Now they announce KA?A (with the ? being either a B, C, D, or V, I suppose) at 06:05.  Conditions were so good that I recorded TOH segments throughout the night using the Wellbrook Array.

Now onto the morning.  I monitored from 12:36 until about 14:13.  Conditions were excellent, although the LW Russians were definitely down compared to other mornings.

531:  On ¾ antennae I have it was NHK1 all the way, but with my new ALA 100 about 70 foot loop oriented 210 degrees which is towards NZ, I only heard an Australian station.  After news, they went into C&W music at 13:06.

610 was noted at 12:55 at very good levels with the following ID:  “The Rock 96.1, Whitehorse”, so looks like they’ll be moving soon to FM as well.

North Koreans were aplenty on 657, 719.9,  801.2, 882.  The latter had a het from about 882.35, although this sounded more like a jammer on that channel than KCBS itself which was on frequency.

810 was an interesting channel with Russian dominating for most of the later morning around 13:28, although I’m sure I could also hear AFN Tokyo.

The major NHK2 stations were exceptionally strong, and there were plenty of 2nd and 3rd tier stations as well.

963 had CRI in Russian, and another Chinese speaker at 14:25, not CNR 1.

1152:  Another highlight for me as NHK2 was cochannel with Radio Fiji 1 at 13:40.

1494:  Inspirational music and cochannel JJ made me wonder about V6AI.

1530:  JJ and DZME at 13:30 with the latter mentioning “Worldwide ministries”.

1539:  CNR1 with echo at 13:27.
1548:  Deutsche Welle in German from Sri Lanka!  First time this season, and a very welcome coup last September here in Masset!  Strong level briefly at 13:21!  Another favourite for the morning!

1566 HLAZ, of course, with their usual Gregorian chants around 13:23.  The cochannel CC station was fairly well heard, and I can confirm that it’s not // to CNR1.

1575:  VOA very loud early.  Later AFN became dominant.

On the X-band, there was audio early on 1701.0 , 1683, 1665, 1683, 1629, 1620, and 1611.  None at more than a 7 level, though.  I also noted a presumed JJ fishing net on 1738.5 in USB at 12:40.

That’s it for a fine morning.  Excellent conditions across the board.  Sri Lanka is back, making India a possibility.  Of course, no sign of them so far.  IBOC is a real problem, at least earlier on until the lower 48 fade out.  The effect from IBOC stations in Alaska remains to be seen.  Towards the end of dawn enhancement, IBOC really ceases to be of any concern.

I’m typing this during the evening of 31 August 2008 (local), TA activity is very modest, with just a handful of audios.  More tomorrow.  In the meantime, great DX to all!......Walt Salmaniw, Masset, B.C.