Re: [IRCA] Another Good TP Morning from Orcas Island Report from Masset

Re: [IRCA] Another Good TP Morning from Orcas Island Report from Masset

Hi, John.  Not so great here, I'm afraid.  Then again, everything is relative....a good day in Masset has audio on every channel!  Here's my report....The Perseus was humming along while I concentrated at the bottom of the band:

TP report from Masset, B.C. for 27 August 2008

A rather anemic morning, it seems.  Monitored between 12:20 and about 14:20
before switching over to SW (nice to listen to 4760 AIR Andaman Is, and 6035
Bhutan Broadcasting Service, for example).

TAs last night were simply mostly non-existent.  Nothing at all noted earlier, but by 05:38 noted just 3 hets, all weak at 2 or 3
level:  819, 1008, 1062.  Not explained at all by the A/K indices:  SF 67, A 3, K 1

This morning for the TPs, mostly noted a good Russian
opening with the LW all strongly heard at 9 levels:  153, 180, 189, 234 and 279 this morning.

MW….mostly concentrated at the low end.  Many of the channels had NHK1 on them
including 531 at 9 level at 12:57,
540 (later at 13:24 after fade-out
of local stations), 585 at 13:28,
594, 612, and 666.

549 was Russian heard with a Mayak IS at 13:00, // to 576 and 666.
Weakest of the 3.  576 was a solid
9 at 13:22, as was 666 at 13:14.
666 battled it out with NHK1 with the both of them swinging back and
forth dominating the frequency with the JJ winning out by 13:39.

612 had Pyongyang
weakly at 12:34, but when rechecked
at 13:37, it was Radio Rossii // to
279.

A Filipino on 630 at 13:40….which
seems to be the pattern here on the Charlottes.  Late will bring in the DU on some days (as in
the south), and more consistently the Filipino stations.

639 is a mess early with very strong IBOC making this
frequency (and many others, for example 684) useless early on.  There was not more IBOC when rechecked at 13:40 when CNR1 seemed to be present.

648 is a fascinating frequency.  NHK1 noted at 13:44
making this JOIG Toyama, but the Russian transmitter dominates.  I think the PAL is incorrect (my version,
anyway).  I heard the VORWS IS at 13:59, but at 14:01,
“From Washington you are
listening to the latest news”, and then continued in an Oriental language.  Means to me that VOR is likely there from 13
to 14, and VOA after 14.  At the same
time, the Filipino on 647.9 also throws a het into the pile.

657 (actually 656.96) had Pyongyang
at 8 level // to 3250 as well as noise…thought jamming (white noise), but no,
it’s IBOC from 660.

666   Another
interesting frequency with multiple transmitters all there at 13:49, including a Filipino over NHK1.

675    Initially
spoiled by IBOC, but at 13:55 NHK1
and presumed Vietnam.

684 is spoiled by IBOC, but came up as a Filipino at 13:58.
I really like this frequency as it’s the one that I heard AIR Andaman Is
last September.  There seemed to be
traces of Indian music this morning, but nothing amounted to anything, and I
couldn’t // anything with the strong SW station on the Andaman and Nicobar Is
on 4760.  I’m going to keep trying for
this one!

Having fun on the shortwaves as I type this at 15:25.
Here’s hoping that the evening will yield some TAs again!  Do have a dinner invite to Johnny and Joyce’s
(my adoptive parents) tonight, though…fresh halibut and Dungeness crab (added
for the benefit of the fellas who were here last year!!!).   73s…….Walt.