Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Antennas for receiving...

Chris,

The advantage the ewe has over the others that you listed is that it
functions quite well without an elevated return line.  The rest require an
elevated return line (front yard trip wire). I have tried a return line on
a ewe connecting the ground rods, but didn't notice any difference in
performance.  The downside of these antennas is a fat cardoid pattern with
poor side rejection. However, where space is a consideration, they are hard to beat, and are considerably more quiet and directional than a random wire.

73 Gil