[IRCA] Report from Masset for 22 August 2008 Japan and Russia dominate!

[IRCA] Report from Masset for 22 August 2008 Japan and Russia dominate!

Bill, things were much better here in northern BC.  Here's my report to the group:

TPs for 22 August,
 2008 from Masset, B.C.

Monitored this morning from 12:28
until 15:30.  The latter hour was mostly SW.

Last night, I was out until relatively late, so only had a
quick look at 1566….about a 4 level het, so perhaps not quite as good as the
previous night.  We are having guests for
the next 4 days, so my listening may also be limited.  Still, I always have Perseus and the SDR-IQ
that can “DX” for me!

Good report for the Wellbrook Array.  It worked every bit as well as my Beverage
and BOG.  I did NOT note the dawn
decrease in signal strength that we had last September here with the
Array.  Not sure why, but all I noted at
dawn and after dawn was a higher noise level on the Array compared to the
Beverages which tend to weaken substantially after sunrise.  I don’t use a preamp, by the way.  Overall, the SNR does not seem to improve
things with the Array….ie both the S and the N seem to increase proportionally,
so the overall effect isn’t any better than with the Beverages at dawn.  Still, I’m very pleased, as the real estate
required is only 40 meters from one array (7m a side in a triangle) to the
other.  This compares very favourably to
the Beverage!

This morning was a very good JJ and Russian morning.  Plenty of activity across the entire
band.  Apart from whisps of audio on the
X-band, the DUs were entirely absent here.
Nothing noted on the big guns lower down on the band.  Filipinos were not that common this am.  Did note 999, though, at 14:09.

I really enjoyed the strength of the Russian MW.  On LW, they were using 153, 189 and 279
only.  Nothing on other channels heard a
few days ago.

On MW, Mayak was on 549, 576, and 603 (all between 13 and 13:30).
Also very strong on 666, at 13:40.

First appearance of Vietnam
this season, noted on 675.  North
  Korea noted strongly on 656.97 with poor
modulation, // to SW.  855’s off freq
carrier was there around 855, but no audio noted today.

Pretty sure I heard Thailand
on 621, cochannel to the Russian at 13:34.  Sounded Thai to me, although it was a bit
echoey, and that immediately had me thinking about the CC stations which have
the same effect (?Harbin).

1566 had the cochannel oriental station again, but perhaps
not as strong as yesterday.  No peep from
India,
though.

On the X-band, whisps of audio were heard on 1701.0, instead
of the usual 1701.06v.

Comment on JOAK 594:
Not a good performer so far this year.
I usually need to use other frequencies when checking for // for
NHK1.

That’s it for the morning!
Please keep reporting your findings for me to compare to.  Especially thanks to John Bryant for your
diligence!  Thanks, John.  Also thanks to those who answered some of my
queries.  With limited internet up here,
I can’t always get back to all of you.
Good dx from another stormy morning on Haida Gwaii!  ……Walt Salmaniw