Re: [IRCA] Skywave noise

Chris;

Not sure about ham induced TVI on the DTV's but TV DX'ing is not going
to die that easy, just because of the Transition.

In fact, DTV TV DX'ing is happening now.  There are some low band DTV
stations and these ARE DX-able via Es.  Several were reported this year.
Girard Westerberg was the first (IIRC) to log a DTV via Es back in 2005,
I think.  Since many DTV's are UHF, tropo is big with those.  Jeff
Kadet, in WC Illinois had the Texas Panhandle DTV's in a few weeks ago,
600+ miles.  He also had analog UHF translators, which are uneffected by
the mandate to go to digital.  Also after the transition, open chanbnels
2-6 may allow interesting loggings of Central and South American TV
stations and those in the Carribean.

FM IBOC is also being DX'ed.  I caught an HD signal on 96.7 from Austin
TX, via Es, in June.  That reception was over a semi-local.  The HD
radios offer great analog FM sections as well as the digital.  I bought
an Accurian HD radio @ Goodwill for $6 and I can hear stations on 97.7
against a strong analog on 97.9.  Thanks DSP!

Digital on AM BCB?  It's there - IBOC and the noise is everywhere.
Nighttime IBOC is an absolute waste and as Craig Healy pointed out it
will not work in some applications.

73,
Dave in Indy

Message: 5