Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Skywave noise

Craig,

The overall noise level here during the day is still very low. The S
Meter still rests at close to zero on the R8. The night noise level
doesn't seem to be any different, but the over all signals from distant
stations seems much weaker. The higher S Meter reading from like
Hawaiians are not there. The QRM on 670 is not worse. KBOI is still not
a big factor off the SW EWE, but the powerful KPUA S9+20 is not there.
It is like they dropped to 1 KW from 10 KW. The Hawaiian stations seemed
to have some big cloud between the coast and Hawaii that does not let
much of the signals through. 2/3's of the Hawaiians used to be regulars
night after night. Often from LSS there to after LSR here. KMVI 550 was
S9+30, now buried under KOAC most nights. They just don't have the
signal they did 25 years ago. Conditions?

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager