Re: [IRCA] More IBOC discovery

> One wonders what lies station management believed in order to justify
> spending all this money on installation and consulting !

They are a corporation supporting iBiquity.  Their engineering management is
very much a stickler for compliance with regulations, fortunately.
Regardless of the corporate mindset, if it isn't legal it isn't happening.
Otherwise they wouldn't be a client of mine.  I am basically happy with them
and do my best to meet their standards.

> No surprise that it doesn't work well, if at all at night due to array
> patterns. However, I bet said station will leave it on at night anyhow and
> will, like many other stations leave IBOC on for several years more.

In this particular case, it's off at night.  The array is too narrowband
which forces the unwanted sidebands well out of compliance with the FCC
mask.  920 in town also shuts their IBOC off at night and (apparently) is
not in any hurry whatsoever to make it work.  1290 is the only 24/7 IBOC in
town and they often do not decode.  I think their pattern is also not really
agreeable with the HD requirements, but they've chosen to ignore it.  If I
can, I'll do a spectrum analysis of them one of these days.  If they aren't
in compliance, I'll rattle a cage or two.

> Re: increased noise floor. This was quite apparent Friday when I was
giving
> an area DXer a daytime demo of my Phased BOG System in Grafton WI.
Pre-IBOC
> I could do lots better daytimes..ie basically copy at least half of the
> audio from WABC and WOR, although phasing is a big help, it only helps
when
> the IBOC QRM is from a different direction than the DX. During the demo,
> there was background hiss in lots of places, and as IBOC stations continue
> to come on the air (morons) hiss on channels that I couldn't even explain
> where it was from.

With my discovery of the hiss in places I wasn't expecting, it's not a
surprise.  It's also quite difficult to track the source of the noise.  It
can be pretty far away from the assigned frequency and obviously doesn't ID.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI