Re: [IRCA] Decent FM Conditions today?

Paul:

That is "tropospheric enhancement" or simply tropo as many of us VHF
DX'ers call it.  Tropo normally enhances VHF reception anywhere from
just a few miles (50 or so) of semi-locals that do not always come in to
well over 500 miles.  It is normally associated with temperature
inversions, fronts and other weather systems.  175 miles is decent for a
boom box w/no outside antenna (apparently).  I have an Accurian (RS) HD
radio and got trop out to 375 miles on it, a few weeks back, with plain
$5 rabbit ears.  By the way, I got the Accurian at a Goodwill for about
the same price.  :)  FM Sporadic E (or Es or E-skip if you prefer) can
get FM and low VHF TV stations from 600-1500 miles.  I caught several
stations from Texas, last month.

Nebraska could easily get both coasts with Summer Es.

Current VHF tropo conditions (based upon 2 meter ham band)
http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=na
Tropo forecast maps http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Dave in Indy

PS: Right now (7/9 1730 EDT) the tropo map is showing an obvious error -
a "duct" from Michigan to Utah.  This must be 2 meter ham band E skip,
which is quite rare!

Message: 4