Re: [IRCA] Saturday and Sunday Mornings at Grayland

At 09:36 PM 6/1/2008, you wrote:
>One of the more interesting incidents was turning past 1386 this morning (I haven't even had a het there the other mornings) and running across Indian/Bollywood music.  It was a "pop-up" reception... gone in 30 seconds and never returned.  That was almost surely Radio Tarana, Auckland, a station for the Indian community on the North Island. In past years, they have been one of the better performers from New Zealand.  If memory serves, that station started life a decade or more ago as Auckland Airport Radio, some sort of tourist/expatriate radio. I believe that lasted a cou[le of years and then Radio Tarana bought them out. In any case, I've seen several notations of hets on 1386 from fellow NWers in the past couple of weeks... I'd guess those were likely Tarana, too. Not bad for 10 kW.

Hi, John!  Thanks for your usual thorough and humorous report from Grayland.  1386 was well heard here a number of times last Fall, and sometimes at good level.  Of course I was scurrying around searching for India or Sri Lanka, to be "disappointed" that it was "only" New Zealand!  With all the excitement over DU and Kiwiland, I rehung my ALA 100 40' loop higher (over my garage)....now about 20' high and aimed pretty much right at New Zealand.  Will see how that works during dawn enhancement!  It sure is picking up DRM from Radio New Zealand on 9890 now with 25 dB SNR (on not a particularly good night), so I'm pleased.  Very quiet too.  ......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC