Re: [IRCA] UNID C&W Station on 1060

On Sunday 01 June 2008 00:46, Robert Ross wrote:
> Barry.......I didn't see this posting til about 15 minutes
> ago.....but I tried listening for this station just before 0030 am
> EDT. I hooked up the Drake R8B and the 80 Meter Dipole....and I was
> only able to hear KYW.....nothing under it at all.
>
> Then I tried the Sony T615 Ultralight, and I was able to separate a
> Station coming from the south with a female singing Country Music
> at 0030 to 0033 am EDT. At 0033...the signal was cut off
> abruptly....and never came back. I don't know if this is what you
> have been hearing or not??? Were you still listening at 0033 EDT???
> If so....did the station go off abruptly???
>
> Will be interested to know who this was....and if I had the same
> station as you......even if only briefly at 3 minutes!!

I hit the sack just after midnight.  However, I set up for timed
recording (8 minute snippets starting a minute before TOH and BOH),
and the station was definitely still on past 0033.  Unfortunately, I
don't have a 0030 recording, but it was heard on every recording
after that up until 0400, but not thereafter.

One thing I noticed was that the between-songs patter that I heard
earlier was gone after midnight - just one song after another,
sometimes with pauses with nothing but dead air, presumably for local
inserts.  I suspect you might have heard one of those at 0033.

It's surprising that the station was not heard by Willis, as most of
the potential suspects would be well heard in TN, I think.

Here's some clips of the station recorded before midnight:
http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/audio/unid-1060-2208-31may08.mp3
http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/audio/unid-1060-2238-31may08.mp3
http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/audio/unid-1060-2345-31may08.mp3

The last one is particularly interesting: "the station the other
stations listen to for the newest songs, today's new hit country...".
And, does he say "King", right at the end?  Not sure, but if so, that
would seem to point the finger at WKNG.

A good mystery is always fun... any thoughts on this one?

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON