Re: [IRCA] TALKING HOUSES + PART 15

Hi Mike:

It would be difficult to set up a legal operation on a billboard with that kind of a range. Remember that the total length of the radiator including the lead-in from the transmitter to the antenna, the antenna itself, and the wire that goes from ground to the transmitter must total less than 3 meters. Since the antenna for these stations are mounted on billboards, the transmitter would have to function without a ground in order to be legal. I therefore suspect that they are illegal operations. Based on the regulations, I would love to be proven wrong.

Bill Harms

Mike McKenna wrote:
Had a Kentucky Chicken store on 1520 - LP in Whitter, CA.  It covered a 10 mile radius from the top of the store.  Yup -- they used KFC as a call sign.  Taped loop of specials.  KFC radio was eaten up by the local FCC office.  1500 is often used in Hollywood to promote new movies.  Special Billboards are hooked up to transmit the movie soundtrack and some promotion of the new movie release.  Most are along Sunset or Hollywood Blvd.  they cover abot 5 to 7 miles.