Re: [IRCA] WW2 POW Shortwave Monitoring

Dave,

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 10:27:45 pm David Hochfelder wrote:
> My wife is currently researching at the National Archives for her next
> book, on WW2 radio traitors.  She just emailed me a group of four letters
> and a prepared card from shortwave listeners to families of POW's.  German
> shortwave stations broadcast brief POW messages and apparently SWL's of the
> day copied down the information and sent it on to the families.  Amateur
> stations were off the air for the duration, so I imagine a lot of wartime
> SWL's were hams.
>
> I can email them to anyone who wants to have a look.

I would love to see them.   I have been making myself nuts this morning.  I
know I just read about this very thing recently.  I seem to remember either a
book review, or a small piece about an upcoming book, about SWLs during WW2
copying lists of POW's.  I have been pouring through all of my recent
magazines and cannot find it.  Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Thanks,
Steve
--
Stephen Hawkins