[IRCA] DXpedition tall tales!

At 11:21 AM 5/4/2008, you wrote:
>At 17:26 5/4/2008, you wrote:
>>Hello Guys,
>>
>>     It was about 38 degrees on the beach, with a nice  icy breeze around 4
>>AM, as we waited for some DX to show up.  Nothing  did, but even at that
>>bizarre hour a steady stream of clam  diggers proceeded to the beach in their
>>RF-hash producing beater cars,  staring at us like we were nuts.
>

>someone, somewhere, needs to put together a compendium  of those "less than optimum" DXpedition stories.  Certainly we have been spoiled of late by the comforts of Room 15.
>
>Gary and Guy's story took me back to Bruce Portzer and myself DXing off the tailgate of my truck at Jordan River (the cab was too small for us and our equipment), don't recall the time of year, just that it got pretty cool by the time the DX started to get warm.   We built a fire which served only to warm us if we actually sat practically in it for awhile.  I think Bruce bought his camper shortly thereafter.
>
>But....we were younger, much younger.   You guys doing this in 2008, talk about young at heart!  My hat's off to you.  Sorry the DX wasn't better.
>
>best wishes,
>
>Nick

OK, Nick.  Here's mine.  Early January out at Sombrio Beach.  One of our rare cold spells, with temperatures down to about -15 to -20 deg C.  I was alone.  About a foot of snow on the ground.  DX was great.....too great in a way as I drained the battery in my Toyota Previa van.  All I got was the dreaded "clicks" when I tried to start the van.  Now we're off the main road a few hundred meters, and the main road is not exactly well travelled.  I spent the entire DXpedition sitting in a sleeping bag.  When I ventured out (call of nature, antenna checks, etc), it took several hours for my toes to unthaw.  Well I thought I'd be smart.....I removed the battery, built a fire around a lean too....used a space blanket.  Warm up the battery out to give it more oomph, thought I.  Well if the space blanket didn't catch fire, and almost spread to the van!!!    Dumb thing to to!!!  Walked up to the road and hailed a passing truck.  Thank goodness he agreed to drive down this snow covered!
  access road and give me a boost.  As you say, Nick, we were younger....much younger!   But, man was the DX good!  .....Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.