[IRCA] More antenna fun

Hi everyone,

The other day, I was eyeing the SW EWE and I noticed two things that
were odd. First, in my haste to repair it last Dec after our storm, I
ran the wire over from the tree in the meadow to the tree behind the
house, where it came down, not thinking on the right side of the tree to
run the horizontal lead. Wel, I ran it on the wrong side of the tree,
putting a nasty bend in the wire. running around the tree trunk a bit.
Second, while eyeing the vertical section on the tree in the meadow, I
noticed for the first time, that when I replaced the antenna when it
came down a few years back, I did not hang it from the right limb. I
always thought I had, but that leg was shorter. The EWE has been "ok"
but it never seemed quite right in the past 4-5 years. Oh, it worked,
but some daytime gw did not seem as good, and neither were the nulls to
the NE.  I always thought, different grounding, as I added more copper
pipes in the ground, or who knows?  Well, this afternoon I moved the EWE
back where it used to be and up on the higher limb. The gw is better and
the nulls also. I now have a better null like I used to to the NE.
KIRO-710-Seattle dropped several S units (NE of me), and I notice that
little KORC 820 Waldport OR ( 1 KW) has gained a couple S units, plus I
have a better null on KGNW-Seattle also 820. I just have not been happy
with the antenna the past few years. So it looks like the change is more
now like I used to have. I have found smaller changes in EWE antennas
can make quite a difference, like adding a foot or two for the vertical
section, etc. It will be interesting to note if the SW (Pacific) is
better tonight. If it is, I am sure the IBOC hash from CA will be
stronger too unfortunately.
  After LSR this morning, KHBC Hilo 1060 was coming in fine, except for
the awful IBOC hash from 1050 SF.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin