[IRCA] More Ultralighting / Alignment Question

[IRCA] More Ultralighting / Alignment Question

Hi Robert / Gary,

thanks for the replies and the encouragement - posts about Ultralighting on the MWC list over here have been few, but for me its like going back to the seed of my love for radio.

Somewhere in the late 70s as an 8 year old kid I discovered the thrill of tuning to distant stations on AM on a tiny transistor radio and here I am nearly 30 years later doing the same!.

Ultralighting appeals to me on many levels - the simplicity and cost of the gear - the thrill of hearing something new or far away on a tiny ferrite rod. The decreased interference level in an rf noisy environment, oh and no more rolling up a BOG at 9 am under the gaze of neighbours who (perhaps rightly) think I am insane!

Yes Its been fun!, and the 300 in 30 is really turning out to be a great challenge - I thought it would have been easy originally, considering that Europe is awash with high powered transmitters but not so. Each new station logged really does feel like an achievement.Its going to really be a push to match your 300 Rob all my "regulars" are now in the bag.

As for catches from the Americas - just three so far - WWZN 1510, WQEW 1560 and CKEC 1320 (the night i received the little Sony SRF 59 and before i started logging for the 300). Incidentally I managed Cuba on 670 back in September on a horrible Sony ICF S10 mk2.

TA conditions until the last night or two really have not been that good so Im going to make an effort to check at dawn and  see if I can add a few more. I can hear many hets  but the little monster just isnt good enough selectively to  hear whats causing them.

And what a little monster the SRF59 is! With a 4 foot loop added it turns into a veritable DX machine- mine tunes as high as about 1650 and Ive managed with the loop to hear 1630 WRDW,1640 WTNI and 1650 CJRS / WHKT.

About that coverage- mine tunes from WAY below 530 khz to about 1650 - can i realign L3 inside with ease to give me 520 - 1700?.

Ok im off now for Easter fun with family -secretly hoping I can get away for a few new ones at dusk -I really am addicted - Gary what have you done!

regards,

Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, Ireland.