Re: [IRCA] Re IRCA # 47-81 -8 CBA 1070

Thank you for the little bit of history, Bill.  About a year and half ago,
CHOK in Sarnia was cooperating and I heard CBA loud and clear for about a
half hour. I have to look at my log books, but 1070 and 940 are the only
frequencies in which I have logged --two-- Canadian stations! I will
certainly miss them.

73 de Joe in Troy, Michigan

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:10:46 -0400 (EDT), bill kral wrote
> For Nick and anyone else interested: A little personal history on
> CBA 1070- CBA was the  first CBC station in the  Atlantic Provinces ,
> hence the call CB"A" .I don't know when it went on the air (1937?)
> .It was located in the antenna farm of the RCI shortwave facilty in
> Sackville NB on the mudflats of the Tantramar Marsh area near the
> Nova Scotia,NB border with a single tower where it did not provide a
> good signal into Moncton but was good towards NS and PEI .In 1968 a
> new 475 foot tower was erected in my little home town of Fox Creek
> ,about 9 miles southeast of  Moncton,on a grassy slope of land
> facing the muddy Petitcodiac River of tidal bore fame and as I saw
> it being put up everyday after getting home from school I was
> intrigued by the method of erecting used . A device attached to the
> first section of the tower would hoist up the second and other
> sections while rolling up each section for the next piece and so on
> until the tower was complete. A few days later the new tower was
> fired up and being only a quarter mile away created havoc with all
> my receivers.It was like hearing 10 new CBC stations.It was so
> strong that our kitchen electric stove cranked out the audio like a
> set of headphones.People in the neighbourhood commented that they
> were picking up the CBC in their tooth fillings but that was never
> proven.From that day on radio DXing became a chore trying to
> eliminate all the images on the frequencies that brought in all the
> skip from the states and other parts of Canada.But that made it all
> the more challenging.But I guess next month all tha people who live
> near the 50KW  "Barn burner" will be able to get all their favorite
> programs on the other AMers clearly again.With that sucker silent,
> and the other two Moncton AMers off,DXing in that area should be a a
> dream come true for anyone involved with the hobby. Bill in Victoria
> BC

> original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
> the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

-- 73 de Joe Miller, KJ8O, Troy, MI -- Grid EN82 --
------ WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com) ------