[IRCA] Sangean PR D5 first look

Took a first look into my new PR D5 "Long distance" Sangean portable
courtesy Durham Radio on Ontario - they have sent 4 or 5 radios for
me to test and review.

Quick overview: The PR D5 (reviewed nowhere on the internet) is touted as
the next big thing in tote-able and DX capable radio - solely in AM and FM

So, it was with much anticipation that I pulled it out of the box
and powered it up with the included Wall-wart.

On power up (in my low-noise concrete and steel apartment) I could immediately hear 530 Turks and Caicos...
Now this is promising! Good starting point!

Tuning up the dial noted locals 900 and 1070
occupying vast swathes of the dial;
900khz was audible from 870 through about 960... CFAX 1070 took over at
about 980 and was audible through about 1130 or so.

The sound of my balloon of expectation deflating was merciful and quick.

I will test the unit under a wide variety of conditions to see how it stacks
up - So far, it is NO Sony Prison Radio!

--
Colin Newell - Editor/Creator coffeecrew.com | dxer.ca
Web-Design / E-Commerce / Writing