[IRCA] Night Time Power Problem: was Ultralight Firsts and Records

At 08:08 PM 2/11/2008 -0600, you wrote:
>Not trying to be a spoilsport here, but I'd be really cautious about
>specifying that Mexicans run these lower powers at night, especially XEMF
>which I I'd here thru a Phased WBBM a few times (13 miles 50 KW ND) and XEMF
>can background them in WI (92 miles) at times.
>
>I honestly think that most Mexicans outside of big cities don't use night
>power.  73 KAZ

Kaz, as Rob Ross and I were discussing yesterday on here, I think
that you are absolutely correct, especially with XEMF-780, Montclova.
Unfortunately, deciding just which stations are "really" on nighttime
power is a very slippery slope.  If we are running a records list and
rule out the Mexicans outside the major cities, do we also rule out
small town US stations on Friday nights during football season, when
daytime power has just about become the norm???  How about the
stations with aging ground systems out here in the West that choose
to run daytime power at night until someone complains (which they
rarely do)?  Or my current favorite... there are small communities in
the West where basketball is actually bigger than football and is on
several nights a week, this time of year.  I guarantee you that some
of the local stations are running daytime power to get those play-off
games out to the outlaying ranchettes.  And then I've had success in
the fall in Washington state getting Canadian high school hockey
games on Friday nights. Are alla them running listed power?  I just
don't know.... and calling the station won't get you an honest answer
about that issue, either.

Really, I think that Rob is correct, as are you... if we are going to
run a records list, we simply have to accept the published night time
power... or not run the list.  Are these the last days of Rome?  Is
society disintegrating around our ears?  I've got an opinion on
that... and I bet you do, too :>)

Thanks for the comment.. I needed to get that off my chest!

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)