Re: [IRCA] Nice variable capacitors on eBay

--- satya@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I thought I would alert you to the "AIR VARIABLE CAPACITOR 3 gang
> 12~450pF
> HAM RADIO", currently item 350024180026 on eBay.  This three gang
> variable
> capacitor works very well, has a 2:1 reduction gear with a 1/4"
> shaft, and
> there are plenty of soldering points available.  The seller has a
> bunch of
> them, so the item number changes week to week.
>
> What I REALLY like is that the plates are shaped such that the
> resulting
> tuning scale is almost linear.

For BCB Loops, a linear taper is best for that reason. That is what was
prescribed in the original Nelson 4' FET loop plans from 1969. The cap
in question at the time was a Hammarlund MC-325-M. These also show up
surplus on eBay from time to time - I picked up a couple there a few
years back.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]