[IRCA] The meaning of a "LID" operator

Here are some explainations of "LID operator" from AC6V.COM
It has nothing to do with being 'lazy' and your work ethics.

I am sure there will those who will try and twist this into meaning
something that is not ment or nor implied.
Willis

ORIGIN OF LID
1. My granddad was a railroad telegrapher.  He said that the term lid
came from operators who would put the lid of a Prince Albert tobacco
tin on the sounder so they could copy the code easier.  It was a
practice that was frowned on by operators who did not have to do
this and it became the slang used for bad operators.   They would also say
that such an operator had a "tin ear".

2. The best explaination I have heard was that if "lid" was not sent
properly in landline (American Morse) code, it sounded like "dd":
daaah,  dit dit,  dah dit dit.     (daaah = long dash)
It was a basic test of a proficient operator.

3. I have also heard that LID came from the early days of land morse.. an
operator who could not send well put a LID eg: slowed down the traffic