[IRCA] Geez, Another Fabulous Week of Firsts and Records

[IRCA] Geez, Another Fabulous Week of Firsts and Records

Since we have pushed the Ultralight distance records out so far so
fast, and since even the UN and the ARRL run out of new countries at
some point, I thought that this might be the first week with no
changes in the records... or maybe only a minor one, or two. NOT SO, BUNKIE!

Kevin Schanilec, Bainbridge Is. WA checked in with a very nice catch
of Biloxi on 1640 to boost his own previous record at 1000 watts
(previous was Brownsville.)

   3433 km/2133 miles Kevin Schanilec, Bainbridge Is. WA, WTNI-1640,
Biloxi, MS  2/1/2008 (Eton e100)

Note that the Eton e100 has joined a very short list of
Record-setting Ultralight Radios.

And then Allen Willie checked in from the birthplace of DXing and
blew a huge hole in several records, while setting a fist-full of new
Firsts. I'm honestly not sure what is the biggest news is from
Allen.... He set a new overall distance record, with a catch of Radio
Sawa in Djibouti...

  9504 km/5906 miles Allen Willie, St. John's, NF  Radio Sawa-1431,
Djibouti 2/2/2008 (SRF-37V)

Maybe even more impressive, he got very lucky and just destroyed the
distance record at 5000 watts while setting a new country first:

   9035 km/ 5614 miles Allen Willie, St. John's, NF  Radio Buenas
Nuevas-1610, Argentina 2/2/2008 (SRF-37V)

WOW!!!!  The distance of 9035/5614 is the most distant at any power
below the Super Stations that modulate the entire ionosphere... The
50 kw distance record is a very respectable 5477 km/3403 miles held
by Colin Newell (RVC-530)... but the 5 kw Argentine just blows that
away!  Congratulations, Allen!

After I wrote that, I got to thinking about our Western Hemisphere
Records: those are records limited to DXers residing in North America
and hearing stations anywhere in the Western Hemisphere (actually, in
the Americas...)  Hummmm, I think that Allen's Argentine catch is
going to stand for a looooong time as the longest DX catch in the
Western Hemisphere!  So, Allen hit a trifecta, setting three Firsts
and Records with one reception.

There have been several other changes in the Distance Records.  The
most noticeable is that we are now expressing each record in both
kilometers and miles.  Being politically only partly correct and
thinking in miles, myself (Old Dog), we started out in
miles.  However, we expect that Ultralighting will be starting up in
Europe and possibly DownUnder at any moment... and the Canadians have
swapped over to join the rest of the world some time ago. Obviously,
the dual distance expression was long overdue. Its now in place.  If
you do the hard work of establishing new records, you may still turn
them in using the distance unit of your choice.  I'll do the easy
work of conversion.

Secretly, I'm looking forward to March through September, when the
Down Under stations may start to appear on the West Coast... that's
our big chance to show those East Coast folks "How the Cow Ate The
Cabbage!"  (Old Southern Expression from an Old Southerner.) Bangkok
and VOA are about 11,900 km./7400miles from Grayland and its 12,500
km/7750 miles to Sydney. Equinox is less than 2 months away!

The full current list of Firsts and Records, as of 2/2/08 is now in
our files area at dxer.ca.

http://www.dxer.ca/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,87/Itemid,77/

Hava a great Ultralight Week!

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)