[IRCA] The Eton e100 (Tecsun PL-200) ULr- first look

[IRCA] The Eton e100 (Tecsun PL-200) ULr- first look

Hi all:

After an agonizing wait due to initially shipping the wrong item, the
vendor delivered the Eton e100 a couple days ago.  It is similar in size
and features to the CCrane SWP receiver that didn't do so well in the 2008
Shootout.  Are the two similar in performance?

Nope!
 - Sensitivity on the Eton e100 is a tad better than the SRF-59,
   at least on the upper part of the band.  Gary is going to try
   to coax the lower band sensitivity into alignment
 - Selectivity is, IMHO, noticeably better that the SRF-59. Yep, better!
   Sounds like about a 6 khz filter with decent shape factor.  1 khz fine
   tuning makes it even mo' better.
 - Nulling is pretty darn good, nearly as good as on the SRF-59
 - PLL tuning with 200 memories, 9 khz up/down tuning and backlight button
   make life easier
 - Clock/alarm and internal speaker are nice to have

Is it perfect?  Well, there are some things I would definitley change:
 - Images and spurs are a definite problem, similar to the M37V I think
 - There is more white noise at the headphone jack than most
 - The AGC can be squawky when tuning to a strong local, but not horrible,
   and its recovery time is a couple seconds.  Once tuned, the volume is
   pretty constant up and down the dial, though.
 - The alignment issue is the only quality control issue I've noticed

Depending on how it aligns on the low end of the band, this receiver could
be right up there: stay tuned!

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA