[IRCA] Audio Switching Network for UltraLights and Others

[IRCA] Audio Switching Network for UltraLights and Others

I'd like to recommend a simple device that I built 8 or 9 years ago
that has been my most useful piece of peripheral equipment. Its three
switches and four audio output ports (RCA or 1/8" phone jacks)
mounted in a small box. What this simple circuit does is take two
monaural audio inputs and puts either signal in both sides of a pair
of stereo headphones, or it puts one of them in each phone
simultaneously. The device will also, simultaneously but separately,
put either signal out to an outboard speaker, if the input will drive
a speaker. That is it! Sounds simple, but it is a wonderfully useful
device. Basically, you can listen to one radio at a time, in both
ears and switch to the other radio instantly.... or you can listen to
both radios, one in each ear.... and even swap them left-for-right.

I did not design this circuit, but discovered it in a Scandinavian DX
publication from the 80s. I modified the circuit some, built several
samples and have been happy as a clam ever since. I cannot live
without this device doing Trans-oceanic DXing.... checking for
parallels, watching two stations at a time, DXing on one receiver
while recording on the other, etc.

The other use that I have found for the device is comparing the
performance of two different radios. When we go on one of the
GRayland DXpeditions and there is a new radio present, its fairly
common to take an audio feed from the new rocket and compare it
closely to my own current favorite.  I've never found a more accurate
way to compare the realworld DXing performance of two radios.

I wrote an article on the design of this audio circuit in 2000, with
pictures that was published widelyand I'm sure it is in the IRCA
reprints. Its also right down at the bottom of the dxing.info
equipment page   http://www.dxing.info/equipment/

I'd strongly suggest that you buy the stoutest switches you can get,
because you'll be flipping them a lot, once you get used to this
beauty. My cost, even so, was under $20 and that included a 1"x2"x4"
cast aluminium Bud box.  Construction time was one afternoon or less.

Personally, I'm gonna be UltraDXing with my Eton e1 in one ear and
the Ultra in the other!

Give this thing a shot.... you'll not be sorry!

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)