Re: [IRCA] DX loggings from the far north

Re: [IRCA] DX loggings from the far north

Hi Walt

Some nice catches.  Congratulations on KBRW.

See below for a few comments.

Bruce

Walter Salmaniw wrote:
> 711 KOREA HLKA KBS1, Jan 1 1558 - Good to very good reception with KK banter, but more interesting is a cochannel playing the old American tune, 'Close to You'.  This might be an Australian station, although there wasn't any ABC fanfare ot 16:00.  On top of this, there is a jammer.  Presumably CC against the Voice of Han?. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)
>
> 720 ALASKA Russia, Jan 1 16:59 - Noticed Radio Rossii's IS while checking to see whether KOTZ was there (no luck on the latter.  Inspirational music instead without a TOH ID, so not sure who that would be.  Could still be KOTZ, I suppose.  Will have to review the mp3 files for sure. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

Perhaps one or both unids was a Filippino?  Could North Korea be jamming
HLKA?
> 1161 UNID unid, Dec 29 1723 - I'll need help on this frequency.  I'm hearing an Asian language, perhaps Thai? The trouble is that most possibilities have signed-off, including the Thai and Filipino stations.  Light-hearted bantering between a man and woman. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

Any program material we could listen to?
> 1170 ALASKA KJNP North Pole, Dec 31 0606 - Excellent reception tonight of many Alaskans tonight.  PAL suggests that KJNP signs-off at 06:00 during the winter.  Not so!  They had a lovely full ID at 06:00, then news and extensive weather forecast followed by a syndicated program called the Voice of Hope.  Not sure whether they're 24 hrs or not.  Still on at 07:17 recheck. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

Current PAL lists s/off at 0910 UT, which isn't totally correct.
According to QSL received last fall, they s/off at 12:10 local time
during the summer and 1:10 during the winter.  They run a Russian
program at midnight during the winter, which accounts for the
difference.  I'll need to fix that in the PAL, but the UTC conversion
will be kind of tricky when you factor in start and stop of daylight
savings time and the lack of a specific range of dates for the Russian show.

> 1431 JAPAN unid STV, Dec 29 1620 - I'm not sure about this one.  1440 STV Sapporo is booming in, and I see that 1431 is in // to it, but my PAL does not reflect this.  No STV JJ transmitters, just BSS, WBS, and GBS transmitters.  Hmmm.  Good reception. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

You probably heard the All Night Nippon show, which is run on 1440 STV,
plus three of the stations that have relays on 1431.  Thanks to Chuck,
the next PAL will have a comprehensive listing of all the stations
carrying the show (including repeaters), along with start and end times
(which vary from station to station).
> 1450 ALASKA KLAM Cordova, Dec 31 1639 - Although not Unalaska, which I really wanted, I'm still very pleased to hear this one with marine weather (synches Alaska), and then mentions of Cordova followed by IDs and mentions of Cordova count down tonight.  There is another weaker station cochannel....I can dream that this just might be KIAL!  A VERY good morning!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

If it makes any difference, KIAL's website says they run Morning Edition
until 1700.
> 1592 UNID unid beacon, Dec 29 1544 - Very weakly heard, but there's a weak CW beacon on this frequency.  Not listed in PAL. I'm suspecting a Russian FE location.  Further checks necessary.  Just barely audible, but with a significant het. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll do some sleuthing on the web and see if I
can find anything.
> 1602 JAPAN NHK2 low powered stations, Dec 29 1540 - Good reception with sign-off earlier than I had thought, but NHK2 has changed the times.  This is a UTC Saturday.  Surprisingly good.  There's a lot of 0.1 and 1 kw stations.  The most likely is probably JOCC in Asahikawa, Hokkaido with 1 kw listed, although there's another 1 kw Hokkaido station as well at Embetsu without a call-sign. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

I'm not sure if it helps, but I've heard a local ID from JODD on this freq.