[IRCA] article: CBC Radio Vancouver needs your help to move to FM

[IRCA] article: CBC Radio Vancouver needs your help to move to FM

Item starts out

 CBC Radio Vancouver needs your help to move to
FM<http://www.insidethecbc.com/yvr_am>

*I grew up on AM Radio. *I had a Fisher Price turntable/AM radio combo. I
would slip it under my pillow every night and listen to *Jack
Webster*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Webster>and
*Pat Burns* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Burns_%28broadcaster%29> on *
CJOR* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cjor>.

Burns used to place his horse bets with *Hastings
Racecourse*<http://www.hastingspark.com/>live on air.

Somehow, it was endearing.

I lit a candle for Burns *when he died*<http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/PatBurns/>
.

Listening to AM radio as a kid convinced me. I had to go into radio. I
wanted desperately to be one of those people.

*
Technically speaking, the AM
signal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting>is the true
ambassador of radio.
* It can snake around buildings and hills
(*FM*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_radio>is primarily
line-of-sight) and bounce off the ionosphere. I can still
occasionally pick up San Fransisco superstation
*KGO*<http://www.kgoam810.com/>just with a regular AM Radio. You could
even rock the dial slightly
off-frequency to improve the treble response of the signal.

Sadly, though, over the years AM radio has become the bastard child of,
well, all broadcast media. It's resigned to primarily talk formats — hard to
argue considering music sounds awful on AM, and it's mono only (unless you
count the *crazy-ass attempt at AM
Stereo*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_stereo>some years ago).

But even some AM stations, notably the ones past about AM 1000, sound okay.
Everything below that sounds like it's been scrubbed in mud before being
aired.*
*

*
*