[IRCA] SRF-59 Alignment: The Big Picture

[IRCA] SRF-59 Alignment: The Big Picture

Hello All,

      Sincere thanks to all (which now means  practically the whole club) who
are giving the amazing SRF-59 a try.   Judging from the astonished, raving
testimonials here on the list, it  appears that the SRF-59 fever is soon to
become a raging epidemic!

     Some serious interest has arisen in the SRF-59  alignment question, i.e.
should my SRF-59 unit be aligned for best  performance?  Currently the answer
is being debated by the only two IRCA  members who have actually performed
such a tricky alignment, Steve and  myself.  There does seem to be some slight
variation in the sensitivity of  new SRF-59's, but to put matters into
perspective, in no case have I ever  noticed a new SRF-59 whose sensitivity was
significantly lower to the point  that it could not receive a weak station that a
more sensitive SRF-59  could.  Ex-Navy technicians like Steve and myself can be
quite  fanatical in pursuing the best possible results in our alignments and
technical  experimentation, which basically means that we have a tendency  to
"split hairs" over minor variations in performance that have little  chance of
significantly impacting a radio's DX performance.

     The alignment procedure itself (recently  promulgated on the list) is
certainly not for the faint-of-heart, and even if  you decide that you want an
alignment performed, you may need to seriously  search for a volunteer. If your
SRF-59 is thrilling you with great DX  already, you may wish to ignore the
alignment debate completely, and concentrate  on the supreme fun that your
"Lean, Mean DX Machine" can bring you this  winter!

             73 and Good Ultralight DX to All,

            Gary  DeBock