[IRCA] SRF-59 Alignment Procedure

Hello All,

     Congratulations to the east coast DXers John  and Paul on their SRF-59
DX loggings-- I'm always happy to hear of Ultralight DX  fun!

     Recently I have had several requests to develop  (and thereafter
promulgate) an alignment procedure for the SRF-59.  This  has been done, and it was
successfully performed on a unit whose sensitivity was  slightly off from my
3-TP original SRF-59 unit, making both equal in  sensitivity.  That is the good
news...

     The not-so-good news is that this alignment  procedure requires
patience, good eyesight, steady nerves, and involves a rather  tricky alignment of the
dial needle frequency with the tuner frequency, which  may require trial-and
-error attempts at bind-free dial movement.

     The RF alignment itself is very simple, involving  only the peaking of a
single IF transformer near the 1.75 inch ferrite bar  antenna, which has a
significant effect on AM sensitivity.  A  non-metallic flat-bladed alignment
tool (plastic or homemade wood) is required  to peak the slug.  This alignment
procedure should only be attempted if you  have certain proof that the AM
sensitivity of your unit is less than another  SRF-59, and then, only if you have
some serious experience with disassembly and  reassembly of tight-fitting,
miniature electronic equipment.  Professional  technicians, hobbyists with
extensive Heathkit experience, and watch repairmen  (hi) should have no trouble.  The
file will be provided to any who request  it, and feel free to proceed at your
own risk (after all, it's only 15 bucks,  right?).

             73 and Good DX,

             Gary