Re: [IRCA] "Unreal" Radio Shack #12-467 $14.99

Re: [IRCA] "Unreal" Radio Shack #12-467 $14.99

Hi George/all:

I picked up one of these this morning: seems to have plenty of
sensitivity, but virtually no selectivity.  My locals and semi-locals were
connected in a continuous wall of sound as I tuned up and down the dial,
blending into each other even though they are 50 khz or so apart.  Turning
on the SRF-59 was like like night and day - individual stations with
spaces in between.

     Gary - I think it would be tough to enter it in
     the 2008 Shootout, since 560, 730 and 1460 would
     be completely blanketed at your QTH.

Perhaps the Radio Shack model has good selectivity on FM (I didn't check),
but the one I picked up was horrible on AM.  Has anybody else had a
different experience with this radio?

My brief trip up and down the dial also showed some significant images
from the 1590-KLFE transmitter a couple miles away, which the SRF-59 is
immune to.

Good thing I saved the receipt...

Kevin S.
Bainbridge Island, WA

> Another analog with an inch long dial, an 82 year old ham called
sensitivity and  selectivity "unreal". Also praised for sound quality,
volume & quality of construction. AM/FM pocket size w/mono earphone jack
&