[IRCA] SRF-59 Redux, where the Kaito Failed

[IRCA] SRF-59 Redux, where the Kaito Failed

I've been tracking an unidentified country station on 560 for the past
several nights.  I first heard it last Tuesday on my new SFR-59,
mixing with WQAM in Miami with my local WFIL in Philadelphia nulled on
the SRF.  But the country station was mixed in underneath.  My shack
is finally coming together but I don't have my FRG-7 or my DX-150B
hooked up to my outside antennas yet so I'm basically running my Kaito
KA1103 barefoot, with my box loop and Select-A-Tenna right now.

Last night, I pulled out the SRF and tuned to 560 again and there was
my unid station, ending an ad string with "...also in Middlesboro on
US Route 25E...:" then into Southern Gospel Music.  The announcer had
a strong mountain accent.  I didn't get the ID (didn't have time to
stay with it) but I strongly presume WMIK in Middlesboro KY, listed at
88 watts (!!!) at night.  They were putting in a good-to-great signal
on the SRF with the other stations nulled out.  I went to the Kaito
and the Select-A-Tenna to see if I could get it and I could barely
pull WMIK out of the mud.  I think I had WMIK in the Kaito but nowhere
near as well as on the SRF.

I'm wondering how well the FRG-7 hooked up to my 200-foot longwire
would have done.  I should have it on today in time for Radio St.
Helena Day, but tonight, I do want to put the SRF head to head with
the Frog on the wire.  But last night's new station furthered the
legend of the SRF-59 in my mind!

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE
--